ANZAC Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, originally commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in the Ottoman Empire during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who served and died in military operations for their countries.
ANZAC Day is the day we remember all Australians who served and died in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations. The spirit of ANZAC, with its human qualities of courage, mateship, and sacrifice, continues to have meaning and relevance for our sense of national identity.
Local ANZAC Day events
Events will be held across the Cairns region to recognise the spirit of Anzac and remember those who served and died in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
A number of temporary road closures will be in effect to allow for these Anzac Day services to take place.
Refer back to this page early 2018 for Anzac Day services and road closures.
- 4:25am Dawn parade from RSL Memorial Hall to ANZAC Park (cenotaph) followed by service/ wreath laying (assemble at 4:00am at RSL Memorial Hall)
- 10:00am Commemorative march (assemble at 9:50am RSL Memorial Hall) to ANZAC Park, followed by service/ wreath laying
9:45am to 10:30am - School St, Church to Munro sts and Munro St, School St to Knowles Rd
The Dawn Service will commence at the Cenotaph on the Cairns Esplanade at 5.30 am.
Ecumenical Church Service
Cairns Ecumenical Service will be held in St Monica's Cathedral commencing at 8.15am.
Services Parade *
The March will step off at Fogarty Park at 10.00 am.
* NOTE: the parade will travel north along the Esplanade to Minnie Street and along Grafton Street to enter Munro Martin Parklands. This is the opposite direction to last year’s march.
The Commemoration Service will begin after the arrival of the March (approx. 10.35am) at Munro Martin Parklands.
Esplanade, Spence to Minnie sts - 3am to noon
Grafton St, Minnie to Florence sts - 9am to noon parking reserved by Council 0230 - noon
Minnie St, Esplanade to Grafton St - 9am to noon
Munro Martin Parklands will be closed on Monday 24 April for ANZAC Day preparations.
- 4:10am Commemorative March (assemble on Anderson Street entrance)
- 4:28am Dawn Service begins at the War graves, Martyn Street Cemetery
- 5:15am Dawn parade at Fuller Park (cenotaph) followed by service/wreath laying
- 5:28am Bugler sounds long "G"
- 7:45am Commemorative march (assemble outside Hambledon Hotel) with service/ wreath laying to follow at Fuller Park (cenotaph)
Road closures - 7:30am to 10:30am
Bruce Hwy Service Rd, Stoke to Cattle sts
Cattle St, Bruce Hwy Service Rd to Wolff St
Wolff St, Cattle St to Fuller Park
Part closure of Stoke St
- 3:30am Gunfire breakfast at RSL Annex (next to tennis court in Norman Park)
- 4:15am Dawn Service begins at Norman Park cenotaph (assemble at 4:00am at RSL, Gordon Street) followed by service/ wreath laying
- 6:00am Breakfast at Norman Park
- 9:00am Parade to assemble at Gordonvale Primary School
- 9:30am Commemorative march from Gordonvale Primary school to Norman Park (cenotaph) followed by service/ wreath laying
Road closures - 9am to 11am
Gordon St, Mills to Norman sts
Norman St, Gordon to Cannon sts
Cannon St, Norman to George sts
George St, Cannon to Sheppard's sts
- 6:50am Parade assembles at Stratford Post Office
- 7:00am Commemorative march to Stratford Cenotaph, followed by service and wreath laying
Road closures - 6:30am to 7:30am
Stratford Parade, Greenbank West Rd
5:30am Dawn parade (assemble adjacent to Memorial) followed by commemorative address and wreath laying
Road closures - 5am to 8am
Vasey Esp, Trinity Beach Rd to Possum St
- 8:30am Commemorative service at the Boat Club Marina