This program was developed to allow locals to undertake gardening works in areas throughout our region. This has an enormous benefit to Cairns and it's surrounding suburbs, both monetarily and in the building of community spirit.
Our volunteers are a diverse and eclectic bunch of people, who share the passion of working outside in the beautiful natural environment and enhancing our regions green areas.
They are not afraid of green ants and creepy crawlies of various shapes and sizes, or shedding a few litres of sweat whilst mulching garden beds on a 32 degree day.
They are hard-working, fun loving, dedicated people who share knowledge, make friends, bake cakes to share and feel the satisfaction of their amazing collective achievements.
Some of our volunteers aim to gain employment in horticulture, and whether still studying and accumulating practical hours, or getting experience in the industry, we support their efforts towards employment through volunteering with our program.
Weekly supervised groups
If you have an interest in gardening or re-vegetation, there are a number of supervised groups available:
- Cattana Wetland Jabirus volunteers - Tuesday from 9:00am-noon: general maintenance of the wetlands such as weeding, planting and re-vegetation
- Cairns Botanic Gardens Down ‘n’ Dirty volunteers - Wednesday from 9:00am-noon: general gardening duties such as weeding, pruning, mulching, turfing and planting
- Esplanade ‘Sandpipers’ - Thursday from 9:00am-noon: a new program which began on 3 November 2016, to assist with enhancing the Esplanade’s gardens such as the Healing Garden in front of the hospital
- Natural Areas Management, Stratford Nursery volunteers - Thursday 9:00am-noon: are involved in collecting native seeds, propagating native seeds, propagating, potting up and weeding
- Saltwater Creek ‘Salties’ volunteers - Friday from 9:00am-noon: work around the reserves and Saltwater Creek (near Edge Hill Primary School)
- Tracks ‘n’ Trails volunteers take part in track maintenance, weed control and planting on the Mt Whitfield tracks. If you have an interest in learning more about track maintenance contact us as the hours are flexible from Monday to Friday
- Little Taccas Children’s Nature Activities Program - Thursday from 10:00am-noon: this award winning program is designed to encourage children to learn about and experience the natural world through the support of caring volunteers and supportive parents in a safe, yet active, natural environment
- Visitor Enhancement volunteers assist visitors to the Botanic Gardens on weekends by offering directional advice, plant information and showing them the highlights of the Gardens
- Botanic Gardens Plant Collection Database volunteers support staff with updating information on the database
Residents volunteering in suburbs
Clifton Beach, Kewarra Beach, Smithfield, Machans Beach, Redlynch, Kamerunga, Stratford, Whitfield, Kanimbla, Brimsmead, Mooroobool, White Rock, Mount Sheridan and Edmonton.
Residents are involved with planting, weeding, litter collecting, graffiti removal and general enhancement of our parks and reserves.
Join a fellow resident or group or forge your own path in your neighbourhood. Contact our Volunteer supervisor on 4032 6648 or 0429 983 252.
Read the latest news on what our Volunteer groups and individuals have been up to. Go to https://issuu.com/ and search for "Green Space Our Place" or "Volunteers Voice", an earlier name for our newsletter. Lots of articles from our Volunteers and horticultural specialists.