Disability Action Week 2017!
Disability Action Week will be held from 10 - 16 September 2017. This year’s theme, Everybody has a role to play, encourages us all to make small changes to create a more welcoming place for people with disability.
Access and Inclusion Action Plan
The Cairns Regional Council Access and Inclusion Plan 2017-2021 is aimed at fostering an organisational and regional commitment to recognising the contributions and enhancing participation levels of people of all abilities in the Cairns community.
Accessible Cairns: Access for All Directory
Our Access for All Directory helps locals and visitors with a disability, as well as their family, friends, carers and support workers, to plan their trip to and access services around the Cairns region.
- Would you like your business to be listed in the Access for All Directory? If so, contact Council's Access & Equity Officer by email email@example.com.
- To help make our region more accessible, we invite visitors to take our quick Cairns Accessible Tourism survey. Your experiences and feedback will tell us how we can improve the quality, availability and accessibility of tourism services and facilities in Cairns and Tropical North Queensland.
- Like our Disability Access and Equity Cairns Facebook page to keep up to date with information and initiatives happening in Cairns.
- For more information about accessibility in Cairns, contact Council's Access & Equity Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Accessibility topics and FAQs
- Infirm service for wheelie bin collection.
- Damaged footpaths or access issues.
- Disability parking and permits.
- MLAK national keying system: MLAK is fitted at Lagoon amenities and Muddy's Playground on Cairns Esplanade.
- Communication support at Council events and facilities.
- Beach wheelchairs.
- Mobility guide for motorised wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
- Recharge emergency break-down service for powered mobility devices.
Cyclone and emergency accessible information
Council has prepared cyclone information in different formats to ensure all sections of our community can plan, pack and listen.
People with hearing or vision impairments or complex communication needs can use our accessible and multi-lingual cyclone and emergency information resources.
Disability Action Week
Disability Action Week is held annually in September and aims to empower people with a disability, raise awareness of disability issues, and improve access and inclusion throughout the wider community.