Operational Works

Planning Act 2016

Please note that the Planning Act 2016 comes into effect on 3 July 2017. Applications lodged prior to 3 July 2017 will continue to be assessed under Sustainable Planning Act 2009 in accordance with sections 285-289 of Planning Act 2016. References to the Sustainable Planning Act will be changed and updated to the Planning Act 2016 in due course.  Information on the new Planning Act 2016 can be found at www.dilgp.qld.gov.au

A development permit for Operational Works is required in order to conduct any engineering and/or landscaping works within the road reserve.

More specifically, Operational Works encompasses:

  • excavating or filling of land (i.e. earthworks, including changes to ground levels for retaining walls);
  • civil works for new subdivisions (i.e. connection to Council and external infrastructure) and other works associated with a material change of use of premises or reconfiguring a lot;
  • placing an advertising device on premises;
  • undertaking road works on Council roads; and
  • modification to the streetscape.

After receiving development permit for a Material Change of Use or Reconfiguring a Lot, an Operational Works application may be required.

What should I provide with an Operational Works application?

Operational works includes road works, stormwater, water infrastructure drainage works, earthworks, sewerage infrastructure, landscaping, signage, and clearing vegetation under the planning scheme. More

Useful Resources

Standard Drawings and other Information More

Development fees & charges

Various fees apply to Development Applications and building works. More

How can I lodge and pay for my application?

You can lodge and make payment for your application in person at Council's Chambers at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns

Electronically: Development Applications Online portal

By mail addressed to:   Attention: Manager, Strategic Planning & Approvals
Cairns Regional Council
PO Box 359
Cairns Qld 4870

Last updated: 21 September 2017